Corporate Strategic Planning & Business Development
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Current Department Manager - Corporate Strategic Planning & Business Development at Proton
Previous Proton Edar Sdn Bhd, Proton, Toyota Motor Europe
Education Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), International Business at University of East London
Worked in both Toyota Motor (Europe) and Proton Holdings (Malaysia & China), in capacity of:
- Head of Initial Quality Team (CAT) to stabilise new product launches.
- Head of Delivery & PDI Quality to ensure quality assurance for all products exported worldwide.
- Project Manager of Logistics Improvement Team to establish Centralised Logistics Hub (CLASS) with optimised supply chain management.
- Business Development Manager for Corporate Strategic Planning, to develop business operations in China, set-up JV and WFOE.
Near 10 yrs experience in manufacturing & automotive industry with expertise in:
- Quality Assurance (Quality tools SPC, DOE, Problem Solving, FTA, RCA, ISO Quality Standards, Process Auditing);
- Logistics Management (Warehousing, Storage Management, Stock Control);
- Lean Process Improvement (Line Balancing, JIT, TAKT Time Optimisation, Kanban Management);
- and Corporate Strategic Planning (Business Case Development, Financial Modelling, Strategy Development & Planning).
Department Manager - Corporate Strategic Planning & Business Development Proton Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Automotive industry
March 2011 – Present (1 year 7 months) Shah Alam, Selangor
(1) Strategy Formulation & Business Development Initiatives in China
• Lead all activities for market entry and expansion into China.
• Conduct in-depth industry and market studies to help company set long term strategic direction.
• Conduct market and industry relevant in-depth competitive analysis.
• Assist management in defining and setting clear strategies for China market.
• Build & maintain good relations with government bodies (MITI) & related agencies between China/ Malaysia.
(2) Feasibility Study (FS) & Business Case
• Initiate strategic discussions with potential automotive OEMs in China.
• Propose and complete joint FS to establish strategic partnership with OEMs in China.
• Prepare business case with financial modelling to be presented to the BOD.
(3) Project Management & Development Preparation
• Ensure all proposed project risk is identified and analysed.
• Propose mitigation plan for risk identified to the Board Audit & Risk Management Committee.
• Establish & lead cross-functional teams to finalise negotiations & development plan with China OEM.
• Finalise & recommend to the BOD to implement with intended budget and timeline.
• Lead and ensure timely & successful completion of strategic projects.
• Implement control and governance to ensure successful project execution as approved by BOD.
• Engage with top management committee members and Heads of Department, in order to obtain input and gain commitment for corporate and business level strategic initiatives.
• Business Development: Initiated discussions with China OEM to propose strategic alliance for China market expansion.
• Financials: Responsible for project FS budgeting and management of CAPEX.
• Feasibility Study: Successfully lead a team to complete FS within stipulated budget and presented to the BOD for approval.
• MoU signed with China OEM, witnessed by Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in China.
Operations Head - Centralised Logistics Centre (CLASS) Proton Edar Sdn Bhd
April 2010 – February 2011 (11 months) Tanjung Malim, Perak & Sijangkang, Selangor
• Reporting to the Managing Director’s office.
• Head of Operations at both Tg. Malim & Sijangkang PDI & Logistics Hubs.
• Accountable for daily operations to ensure balance in outputs vs. quality.
• To establish & implement operational KPI's to ensure effective control & productivity measurements.
• Responsible to ensure smooth operations to meet the delivery schedule with minimal cost.
• Ensure customer satisfaction in terms of time (fast delivery) & quality (vehicle PDI to standards)
• Takes lead to drive the continuous improvement programs to improve quality, reduce inefficiencies in stock turnaround and logistics costs.
• Grow and develop employees, enhance morale and ensure strict adherence to ESH policies, to meet operational objectives.
• Financials: Successfully reduced cost of PDI warranty by within 6 months of operations.
• Customer Satisfaction: Increased customer satisfaction at sales dealers (as measured by survey).
• Quality: Improved vehicle delivery quality scores, resulting in overall better score in JD Power IQS survey.
• Process Excellence: Drove changes and ensured continuous improvement (Kaizen), by successfully adopting Toyota’s Just-In-Time (JIT) methodology into Proton’s PDI & Logistics hubs.
Department Head - Vehicle Delivery Quality Proton Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Automotive industry
January 2009 – February 2011 (2 years 2 months) Shah Alam
• To achieve high customer satisfaction for all vehicles delivered to sales distributors in Malaysia and worldwide.
• Establish and maintain an effective feedback of potential customer issues relating to product & delivery quality, and ensure timely resolution of issues.
• Led audit teams to investigate overseas distributor technical & delivery quality issues (all export countries).
• Financials: Cost reduction achieved for all export distributors PDI & service centre.
• Customer Focus: Head of Initial Customer Quality (CAT TEAM) for new product launch, with primary aim to ensure problem-free ownership experience of new vehicles during initial launch.
• Speed: Successfully stabilise all market issues within target time.
Result: Exceeded quality level of key industry competitor brand (source: JDPower IQS sur).
Project Manager - Logistics Improvement Team Proton Edar Sdn Bhd
March 2009 – April 2010 (1 year 2 months) Shah Alam
• Direct reporting to the CEO of Proton Edar, leading a cross-functional team of 26 people from internal and external parties.
• Appointed by Managing Director of Proton to lead Proton’s ambitious initiative.
• Dual assignment - concurrent with position as Department Head for Vehicle Delivery Quality at Proton Holdings.
• Analyse, formulate & recommend solution to top management to reduce cost & improve logistics chain.
• Identify resources needed (CAPEX investment cost, manpower & timeline schedule).
• Define project scope and goals and ensure deliverables fully supported by top management and Heads of Division.
• Prepare business case for project approval by the BOD.
• Plan, organize, track and manage project to ensure that progress of works and completion time are within target project schedule (critical path) and within cost budget.
• Initiate open tender to appoint contractor and logistics service provider (3PL).
• Establish and lead cross-functional project team, to develop and complete execution of project.
• Lead weekly site inspection meeting, to track progress & conformity to specifications set.
• Prepare and deliver progress reports and presentation to Proton top management committee, internal and external stakeholders.
• Build good relationship with external stakeholders (Customs, MIDA, local council) in order to ensure smooth and successful project progress.
• Hub is 1st of its kind in ASEAN, with fully computerised systems & state-of-art facilities.
• Time & Cost Management: Achieved cost reduction with effective project planning & completed within aggressive time-frame (from concept to launch).
• Financials: Manage high project CAPEX budget as approved by the BOD.
Senior Engineer - Market & Customer Quality Proton Privately Held; 10,001+ employees; Automotive industry
March 2007 – December 2008 (1 year 10 months) Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
• Coordinate market analysis on issues faced by customer in all markets, and systematically prioritise for problem solving activities.
• Lead cross-functional quality improvement teams to resolve major quality issues in all markets.
• Investigate and provide recommendations to the Top Management Committee on quality issues for recall campaign.
• Manage and train quality engineers to conduct process audits in plant and at vendor factories, according to best practices using Toyota methodology of Gemba (現場), Genchi-Gembutsu (現地現物) & Jujitsu.
• Established Proton’s global recall SOP for systematic recall management worldwide.
• Led special taskforce to implement global recalls for Proton cars, and successfully completed the recall, achieving highest recall rate in Malaysian history.
• Established Proton’s global quality rating system for effective resource planning to resolve market quality issues in a fast and systematic manner.
Vehicle Quality Lead Engineer Toyota Motor Europe Privately Held; 1001-5000 employees; Automotive industry
September 2003 – March 2007 (3 years 7 months) Brussels, Belgium, Europe
• Lead quality assurance initiatives for Toyota Yaris from cradle-to-grave (SOP to EOL).
• Responsible for customer quality satisfaction in all European markets.
• Spearhead investigations and launch recall campaigns in Europe for quality issues.
• Initiate review of Toyota quality systems and strategic quality plans for new model programmes.
• Responsible to ensure quality standards practiced in all European plants truly reflect customer expectations from the product.
• Lead warranty cost reduction by analysing trends (Weibull analysis) and initiating cost reduction activities.
• True leadership: Initiated and led quality initial stage control (ISC) activities for vehicle launch in Europe.
• Customer satisfaction: Exceeded quality & customer satisfaction targets set for new product launches in Europe.
• Quality first: Led investigations into quality issues in Europe affecting Toyota vehicles, and launched Europe-wide recall. Successfully completed recall within targets.
• Financials: Cost savings on warranty cost by problem solving & re-occurrence prevention for existing models.
• Problem solving: Completed the Toyota Problem Solving project (similar to Six Sigma Black Belt project) with remarkable cost savings for Europe production.
MBA Thesis: China Automotive Brands Successful Business Strategy in Malaysia 2012
Authors: Jamie Morais, Jamie Francis Morais
In-depth study on current business strategies applied by Chinese automotive brands in market penetration and expansion. Thesis outlines recommended strategy for successful market expansion strategy, with customer survey and industry interviews on brand/price/marketing positioning.
•English(Full professional proficiency)
•Malay(Full professional proficiency)
•Chinese Mandarin(Limited working proficiency)
University of East London Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), International Business
2011 – 2012
The University of Manchester Master of Science (MSc), Electronics Instrumentation (Measurement & Reliability) Engineering
2002 – 2003
Grade: Honours with Distinction
University of Lincoln Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng. with Honours), Electrical & Electronics Engineering
2000 – 2002
Grade: 1st Class with Honours
Activities and Societies: Valedictorian, Deans' List
Kolej KDU Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Engineering
1998 – 2000
Grade: 2nd Upper Class
Activities and Societies: Alumni President, Student Council Head for Engineering School
SMK Kepong Baru O-levels
1992 – 1997
Grade: 1st Grade
copyright © irsukhai2012